The Sturtevant's experience is all about knowledge and premium service. It starts when you log on or walk into one of our stores and continues long after your purchase has been made. Which may have a little to do with why Ski Magazine recognized us as their 2009 Gold Medal Shop Of The Year. (we are pretty proud of that!) The knowledge is a product of waiting for that first chair on a powder day, countless hours on the court and early mornings behind the boat. From our owners to each employee, the passion of each of these sports runs deep.
Sturtevant's currently owns and operates four stores in Washington including our flagship store in Bellevue, Ski Marts in Tacoma, Bellevue, and Alderwood as well as the Sturtevant's Online store. We are proud to stand behind every product we sell. If we help you pick out a ski or snowboard and you don't love it, we guarantee to find you something you will. If we help you with ski or snowboard boots we will guarantee their fit. See our Guarantees and Policy for more information.
So from the all the Sturtevant's team, we wish you plenty of pow days in the mountains and glassy water out on the lake.
We're often asked if we're related to Sturtevant's of Sun Valley.
The anwser is yes, well sorta... Keep reading below to learn more!
Sturtevant's has a unique history tracing back to over 50 years in the Greater Seattle Area. Here is our company timeline, starting with some history on the Sturtevant's name, our relationship with Sturtevant's of Sun Valley and the original store at 622 Bellevue Way NE:
- 1963 - Fred Sturtevant opens Sturtevant's of Sun Valley in Ketchum, Idaho
- 1963 - Hal Hansen relocates his store, Hal's Sport Shop, from Seattle, Washington to 622 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, Washington
- 1965 - Hal Hansen and his new partner, Erl Julnes, change the name of Hal's Sport Shop to Alpine House
- 1971 - Fred Sturtevant sells Sturtevant's of Sun Valley to four Bellevue, Washington entrepreneurs and moves to Hagerman, Idaho to be a farmer
- 1973 - The four owners of Sturtevant's of Sun Valley buy Alpine House in Bellevue and rename it Sturtevant's of Sun Valley
- 1977 - Duncan Campbell and Alan Quinn buy Sturtevant's of Sun Valley in Bellevue, Washington and drop "of Sun Valley" from the name. Dual Sports, Inc. is incorporated to serve as the parent company to the store
- 1986 - Dual Sports, Inc. opens the first Ski Mart store on 103rd and Main Street in Bellevue as a discount outlet offering close-outs, rentals and consignment skis
- 1992 - Dual Sports, Inc. opens Boarderline Snowboards, the Eastside's first snowboard shop, next door to Sturtevant's at 622 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue
- 1999 - Sturtevant's and Boarderline move to 1100 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue
- 1999 - Ski Mart moves to 830 106th NE, Bellevue
- 2000 - Sturtevant's partners with Altrec.com and launches the Sturtevants.com online store
- 2001 - A second Sturtevant's location opens in Puyallup, Washington
- 2004 - Duncan Campbell takes sole ownership of Dual Sports, Inc., DBA Sturtevant's, Boarderline and Ski Mart
- 2005 - Dual Sports, Inc. purchases SkiBonkers, the ski & snowboard tent sale that Olympic Sports launched in 1979
- 2005 - Ski Mart moves to 13219 NE 20th Street, Bellevue
- 2007 - Duncan Campbell sells Dual Sports, Inc. to long-time employees Jeff Campbell, Tracy Gibbons and Stacey Weichbrodt
- 2009 - Boarderline Snowboards is incorporated into Sturtevant's, offering customers a seamless shopping experience for all their ski and snowboard needs
- 2009 - Sturtevant's Kids opens in Boarderline's former space
- 2009 - Sturtevant's in Puyallup closes and a new Sturtevant's Ski Mart store opens at 2220 South 37th Street, Tacoma, Washington
- 2009 - A third Sturtevant's Ski Mart store opens at 18920 28th Avenue West, Lynnwood, Washington
- 2010 - Sturtevant's and Altrec.com end their partnership and a new Sturtevants.com launches, offering customers the same products available in-store at Sturtevant's in Bellevue, Washington
- 2016 - Sturtevants is acquired by Christy Sports of Colorado!